AIS 140 regulation compliant devices
What is AIS 140 standard?
AIS 140 is by far the most important and significant development regarding passenger Safety and Security.
AIS 140 (Automotive Industry Standard no.140) is a set of standard/requirements mandated by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Government of India under Nirbhaya Framework, with the intention of making road transport more safe & secure.
AIS 140 regulation compliant devices must include location tracking feature and emergency/panic button feature. Under AIS 140, standard all public transport vehicles registered on or after 1st January 2019 need to be fitted in with AIS 140 complaint devices. The transport authorities have been asked to keep an eye over the vehicles (which need to follow these guideline) to ensure that these abide by the standard rules.
Who would be benefited by following AIS 140 guidelines?
1) Buses including Public/Private school buses, corporate buses etc.
2) Car rental businesses, Taxi Fleet owners, corporate fleets or Taxi hailing service providers etc.
3) Tours and Travel Businesses
TravelPulse offerings regarding AIS 140:
- SOS button for Crisis: The vehicle tracking devices that are AIS 140 compliant come with an important feature which allows you to activate an emergency button with just a click. Once emergency information reaches the emergency response server, precautionary measures will be undertaken.
- Dual SIM for quick location tracking: These GPS devices are installed with dual SIM cards which send the location information to TravelPulse server as well as to the SOS server used by Police department and to Government's Command and Control Centre.
- Ensure passenger safety: The 2012 Nirbhaya incident was one of the prime triggering factors for the Government to start implementing safety measures in public transport vehicles. Both the Panic button and GPS tracking features would be crucial in quickly locating criminal incidents, help law-enforcement officials to respond faster.
- Optimize public transport operation: AIS-140 will bring in real-time location tracking and hence optimise public transport operations. Route optimisation, traffic regulation, and ensuring that vehicles run on time will be the first set of benefits. There is also the possibility of building atop these benefits, and creating services that help people stay updated on traffic movements and arrival and departure times.
- Monitor driver behavior: With AIS-140 compliant devices, it becomes possible to know if a particular vehicle, or its driver, is adhering to traffic norms. Behavior like over speeding, engine idling, rash driving can all be tracked, and would help in curbing road accidents.
- Improve vehicle performance: The regulation also includes provisions for monitoring vehicle performance metrics. Data pertaining to vehicle travel performance can be shared with the driver and fleet operators. This can help in improving the operational efficiency of the operators.